Mixing Things Up!

Mann Mondays - Enjoying the little things in life! Writing Tuesdays - Tips and tricks for writing your own book! Adventure Wednesdays - Join me on my adventure in finding an agent and getting published! Birthmother Thursdays - Learning about being a birthmother! Feature Fridays - Other blogs, articles, websites, and ideas not from me! My Saturdays - What else is going on in this Mann's world! Sunday Quotes - My favorite quotes or quotes from readers who have submitted for Sunday's Blog!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Mann's Process - Revisiting Last Tuesday's Post

Writing Tuesdays!

Last week I posted The Mann I've Become: 15 Ways To Write A Novel by Max Barry:, and this week I am going to reflect on what he said while sharing my own routine. If you don't remember what he said or wasn't able to read last week's post, the link above will take you to that post.

So! Max listed 15 distinctive ways to write a novel and included the pro's and con's of each process.  Personally, I don't use just one of what he listed but my own version of a combination of a few of his techniques.

Which ones do I use in my own way?

- The Quiet Place
- The Burst
- The Immersion
- Headphones
- End-To-End
- Jigsaw
- Outline

I definitely lock myself away in a quiet place to hide from the outside world.  I write in bursts, but longer bursts and I never set a time limit for myself like in "Immersion".  If I am in the mood I listen to Yanni, but never anything that has words or it becomes too distracting.  After I put an outline together, I develop different parts of the stories at a time, but I don't write everything out until I could do it "End-to-End".  Are you lost?

Finding your own routine where you'll receive the max amount of benefit in the shortest amount of time, is key.  Everyone works differently.  When I'm writing and I feel myself lagging or frustrated I take a walk, clean, do crafts, play a game, take a drive, spend time with family, and usually about 15 minutes after I've stepped away, I start coming up with ideas quickly and effortlessly.  That's why I always carry paper and pens with me, I even have post-its and pens in the bathroom...  lol...  You never know when you're going to receive inspiration and I'm the type of person that if I don't write it down, I'm liable to strain over remembering it later on.  Not Fun!

My advice is to use Max's tips as a jumping-off point in finding your own style and routine.

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment