Mixing Things Up!

Mann Mondays - Enjoying the little things in life! Writing Tuesdays - Tips and tricks for writing your own book! Adventure Wednesdays - Join me on my adventure in finding an agent and getting published! Birthmother Thursdays - Learning about being a birthmother! Feature Fridays - Other blogs, articles, websites, and ideas not from me! My Saturdays - What else is going on in this Mann's world! Sunday Quotes - My favorite quotes or quotes from readers who have submitted for Sunday's Blog!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Step #2--How's A Mann To Get Published?

Adventure Wednesdays!

Do I need an agent?

Of Course!  Por Supuesto!  Selbstverständlich! Naturellement! Natuurlijk!

Sorry, I was channeling a broadcast system in Disney World. (They announce everything in multiple languages.)

How do I get an agent's attention?

According to Guide to Literary Agents, there's a checklist I should reference to find out if I've done everything I should in order to land an agent.  They state the following:

To-Do List for Nonfiction Writers --I will put my remarks in magenta :)


1. Formulate a concrete idea...  I wonder how many nonfiction writers that buy this book don't already have a formulated-concrete idea?  ..for your book.  Sketch a brief outline making sure you have enough material for an entire book-length manuscript.

2. Research works on similar topics to understand the competition and determine how your book is unique. You'd be amazed at the lack of adoption stories (from the birthmother's perspective) from this century! If I have to read another blurb about a birthmother who went through an adoption 20-30 years ago, I'll scream!  It's amazing how the book industry needs to catch up on this subject!  


3. Write sample chapters.  This step should indicate how much time you will need to finish and if your writing needs editorial help.  My Mann-uscript is finished and edited but I'm not certain if I could of gauged accurately how much time it would take me to finish. Took me 4 years to get it onto paper, not because the story wasn't there, but because it's hard to live in that painful place for very long.  Editor?  "Check!" 


4. Publish completed chapters in journals and/or magazines. This validates your work to agents and provides writing samples for later in the process. I wasn't sure about this step, but I am still going through the process of either publishing chapters from my Mann-uscript, as well as taking every other opportunity to write and be published in different sectors.  


5. Polish your outline so you can refer to it while drafting a query letter so you're prepared when agents contact you. I wasn't aware of this step before I bought this book, but being the organized/neat-freak I am when writing, I've probably redone my outline about 50 times. 

6. Brainstorm three to four subject categories that best describe your material. Women's Interest, YA, Inspirational, Memoir...  "Check!"


7. Use the indexes in this book to find agents interested in at least two of your subject areas and who are looking for new clients.

8. Rank your list. Narrow your list further by reading the listings of agencies you found in the indexes, and organize the list according to your preferences.  Research agent Web sites to be even more selective.

7 & 8 -- I thought I would address these two at the same time.  I thought that they were a little out of place and probably should go after the query letter and proposal.  


9. Write your query. Give an agent an excellent first impression by professionally and succinctly (briefly and clearly expressed) describing your premise and your experience.


Detour! Did you know when writing a query letter (for a nonfiction manuscript) the point of the query is to get the agent to read your book proposal?  Did you know that you should include your proposal as a link to be downloaded if the agent chooses to read further?  I HAD NO IDEA!!  Thank You bksp.org!  

10. Read about the business of agents so you're knowledgeable and prepared to act on any offer. Start by reading this book's articles section completely. Ok Guide to Literary Agents, why did I have to read about book proposals from somewhere else?  

That point alone (including a book proposal with nonfiction query letters) proves that you shouldn't pick just one reference in preparation for your Publishing Adventure, but to do extensive research. No one likes being caught with their pants down! Especially this Mann! Which I already was once (metaphorically speaking) if you remember the crappy agent I originally signed with?  Hmmm...


Do research. Love research. Research is your friend!









--There is so much information out there for the taking!  I'll list all of my own resources but I urge you to also do your homework and find resources that fit you best!  It's suppose to be an adventure, right?!  Make it interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment